Many activities around Asheville are available for you to choose from during your stay at the Sourwood. You may decide to spend a day at the inn relaxing on our porches or taking a hike around our trail head. The next day venture out and enjoy all the beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway filled with great hiking and biking activities. All of our suggested Asheville Activities are highlighted below:
“When truly resting, the mind is cleansed and the body recharged.”
Activities around the inn
- Rock and Read. There is an interesting and well-stocked library (with an emphasis on the philosophical).
- Take a walk in the woods. There are two loop trails 1.5 miles and .5 mile.
- Engage in a little competition. Shoot pool, play ping pong, or throw darts.
Hiking activities are endless around Asheville. We are always available to help you decide which trail is best for you.
- Rattlesnake Lodge – 3 miles round trip with longer options (5 min from the inn)
- Craggy Gardens – a variety of nice hikes from .7 mile to 8 miles (20 min from the inn)
- Mount Mitchell – Highest point east of the Mississippi Short steep walk to lookout or Deep Gap Trail (45 minutes from the inn)
- Deep Gap Trail is a short steep walk to the lookout (45 minutes from the inn)
- The Biltmore Estate – Tickets purchased here at the inn are good for two consecutive days. The Biltmore includes miles of trails, gardens, and a stunning conservatory filled with rare and tropical plants, plus the mansion itself.
- North Carolina Arboretum – Fantastic gardens, trails and incredible Bonsai collection are found here. In spring, look for the gorgeous display of azaleas.
- Asheville Botanical Gardens – Easy walking trails meander next to a creek in this garden adjoining UNC Asheville campus.
Exploring Downtown Asheville
– in a word Eclectic! Discover on your own, with help from us or from one of these tours:
- Asheville Urban Trail – a walking tour of downtown Asheville highlighting the unique architecture, people and historic events of the city
- Grayline Trolley Tours – These are the red trolleys that do a super job!
- LaZoom Bus Tours – Zany, Wacky fact filled fun
Outdoor Adventure Activities
The surrounding Asheville area is filled with adventure. Check out a previous blog for detailed information on Adventure Activities.
White Water Rafting:
- Blue Heron Whitewater – These folks are great!
- Navitat Canopy Adventures – Truly beautiful and wildly fun!
- Sandy Bottoms Trail Rides – Nice facilities and healthy horses make for a memorable ride
- Curtis Wright Outfitters – Enjoy a day of fly fishing the beautiful streams of Western North Carolina
Romantic Asheville Activities
Want even more ideas on how to make the best of your Asheville getaway?
View our guide here: Things to Do in Asheville.