Romantic Asheville is one of the newest and hottest travel destinations in the country. Asheville has a thriving art and culture community along with trendy restaurants and micro breweries. Whether your trip is a couple of days or a month, there is always plenty to see, taste or enjoy with your sweetheart.
Everyone associates Asheville with the Biltmore Estates, which is the ultimate romance story of George Vanderbilt bringing his beautiful young bride, Edith, to his beloved Biltmore Estate.
How to get to Asheville
If you are flying, we recommend the smaller Asheville airport which is south of town. Charlotte, NC has an international airport which is a little over a two hour drive. While there are public transportation options in the area, having a rental car is recommended. A car provides a better opportunity to see the full landscape in and around Asheville.
When is the best time to visit romantic Asheville?
We love Asheville year round! Our winters are mild with little snow in the city. Our mountain lodge can occasionally get snowed in. Romance will abound as you spend your day reading in front of your room fireplace. Summer days are fairly mild with an occasional hot day. The mountains always provide a breeze and keeps us protected in the winter and cooler in the summer.
The most popular times to visit Asheville and hence probably the most romantic time to visit is in the spring or fall. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a mass of beautiful fall color. Springtime brings beautiful blooms on the mountains and at the Biltmore. We like to think that either late spring or early fall makes for the best time to come to avoid the crowds and to take advantage of warmer weather. No matter what the season there are endless romantic opportunities!
Our top romantic things to do in Asheville
Romance and Asheville just go together! Shown below are some of our favorites:
- Tour the Biltmore Estate and stroll through the beautiful gardens
- Enjoy a Dinner Date– wether you dine with us at the inn for our popular Farm Direct Dining or decide to try some popular eateries in Asheville, your dining options are endless!
- Spend the day walking around the Botanical Gardens– with over 600 species of Appalachian wildflowers, flowering shrubs, and flowering trees.
- Enjoy the mountain scenery on Horseback- A romantic afternoon of horseback riding providing some of the area’s most beautiful mountain vistas. We like to recommend the following stables: Wolf Laurel Stables, Cedar Creek Stables, Sandy Bottom Trails and Biltmore Estate.
- Get “carried away” on a Hot Air Balloon- nothing compares in romance then taking your sweetheart on a surprise ballon ride in the early morning hours over Asheville. Mountain vistas are breathtaking. There are two ballon companies in Asheville- Asheville Balloon Company and Asheville Hot Air Balloon.
- Toast your love at the Battery Park Book Exchange- this is a one in a million chance to impress your love. Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar is a used book store with many first edition and signed books with a gorgeous interior and a fabulous wine bar.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway for fabulous views, wonderful hiking and the perfect opportunity for a surprise picnic.
- Go on a Waterfall Hunt with a picnic- check out some of our favorites.
- Enjoy an afternoon of Wine Tasting- wineries abound in The Asheville area. The Sourwood Inn also has a wonderful curated wine list for you to enjoy during your stay at the inn
- Visit a few micro breweries-Asheville’s beer scene is an amazing array of micro breweries, full scale breweries, and cideries.
- Find some local art while strolling the River Art’s District-Asheville’s creative spirit resides in this colorful neighborhood, where once-bustling mills now house 200+ artist studios.
Come stay with us
Now that you know all of the romantic things to do in and around Asheville, book your stay at the Sourwood Inn. We are located only a half hour drive from Downtown Asheville and offer a luxurious rooms and amenities all with breathtaking mountain views and fireplaces. Our rooms include central air and private balconies. We are renowned for our Farm Direct Dining and curated wine list. Come stay with us for your perfect Asheville Romantic Getaway.